receives a very uncertain supply of water from the Mahi Wah, and the
Cultivators are rather less prosperous than in other parts of Sind.
There is a large area of jdgir land within the tâluha.
Uch (Uchh=°high place').-Town in the Ahmadpur tahsil of the
Bahâwalpur State, Punjab, situated in 29° 14' N. and 710 4' E., 38 miles
south-east of Bahâwalpur town, on the south bank of the Sutlej opposite
its confluence with the Chènâb. Population (1901), 7,583. The muni-
cipality had an income in 1903-4 of RS. 2,000, chiefly from octroi.
Archaeologically and historically Uch is a place of great interest.
Sir Alexander Cunningham identified it with the city which Alexander
the Great built near the meeting of the Punjab rivers. He believed
that it is also the town mentioned by Rashid-ud-din as the capital
of one of the four principalities of Sind under Ayand, the son of
Kafand. This identification is, however, far from certain. Uch was
in the twelfth century known as Deogarh, 'the gods' stronghold ' ; and
its ruler, Deo Singh, fled to Mârwâr when the great Muhammadan
missionary and saint Saiyid Jalâl-ud-din Bukhâri came to the place,
converted Sundarpuri, Deo Singh's daughter, to Islam, and bade her
build a fort called uchha or uchh (' high'). Since then it has been
known to Muhammadans as Uch-i-Sharif or 'Uch the Sacred.' In
spite of its undoubted antiquity, Uch is not mentioned by the earlier
Muhammadan historians under that name. Raverty, however, identi-
fied it with the town of Bhâtiâh near Multân, mentioned by the
historians of the Ghaznivid period as taken by Mahmiid of Ghazni
in ioo6. Subsequently recaptured by Muhammad of Ghor, it became
the chief city of Upper Sind under Nâsir-ud-din Kubacha, and was
burnt by Jalâl-ud-din Khwârizmi in r223. It was afterwards taken by
Altamsh. Uch was a great centre of Muhammadan learning ; for in
1227 we find Minhâj-ud-din, the Persian historian, made chief of the
Firozi college there. Changes in the courses of the rivers gradually
robbed it of its strategic importance; and after many vicissitudes it
was permanently annexed to the Mughal empire under Akbar, being
included by Abul Fazl among the separate districts of the Sfbah of
Multan. Uch is now a group of three villages, built on as many
mounds, the débris of successive cities. It is still a place of great
religious sanctity in the eyes of Muhammadans, and contains countless
shrines, in charge of the Bokhâri and Gil ini Makhdûms, who are
descended from its original founders. Sir A. Cunningham compiled
an interesting but unreliable account of Alexander's operations in the
country round Uch.
[A. Cunningham, Ancient Geography of India, pp. 242-8.]
Uchad.-Petty State in REwA KANTHA, Bombay.
Udaipur State (1).-Tributary State in the Central Provinces, lying
between 220 3' and 22° 47' N. and 83° 2' and 83° 48' E., with an