other villages were added from Varval-Rajura. The j~qr' Mluk of
Mirag with a population of 21,734, containing 45 villages, lies between
this and the Bidar tdluk.
Udgir Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name in
Bidar District, Hyderabad State, situated in 18' 24' N. and 77° 7' E.
Population (1901), 5,984. The fort belonged to the Bijapur kings, and
was besieged by Shah Jahan's general in 1635, and surrendered to him.
In 1760 a great battle was fought here between the Nizam and the
Marathas. Nizam Salabat Jang and his brother occupied Udgir with
7,000 cavalry, but were surrounded by 6o,ooo Marathas. Desperate
fighting continued for days, and the Nizam was forced to agree to
the terms of peace imposed by the Marathas. The fort was built about
x493, and has a ditch all round. Two palaces are situated inside, and
two outside, but all are in ruins.
Udhua Nullah.-Village and stream in the District of the Santal
Parganas, Bengal, situated in 24° o' N. and 87° 50' E. It was the site
of the defeat of the army of the Nawab Mir Kasim by Major Adams
Udipi Taluk.-Tdluk in South Kanara District, Madras, lying
between 13° 7' and 13° 38' N. and 74' 42' and 75° 9' E., with an
area of 719 square miles. It contains one town, UDIPI (population,
8,041), the head-quarters; and r57 villages. The population in I9or
was 251,831, compared with 242,439 in 189i, showing an increase of
3-9 per cent. The demand for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4
amounted to Rs. 4,41,ooo. Rice and coco-nuts are the principal pro-
ducts, as in the rest of the District. There are some fine areca gardens
in the vicinity of the Western Ghats on its eastern boundary. The
tdluk as a whole is exceedingly prosperous, the coast tract being
exceptionally fertile. Coco-nut gardens fringing the backwaters and
tidal reaches of the rivers are a feature of the country. '
Udipi Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name in
South Kanara District, Madras, situated in 13° 21' N. and 74° 45' E.
Population (1901), 8,041. The Krishna temple here, said to have
been founded by Madhvacharya, the great Vaishnav reformer, in the
thirteenth century, is largely resorted to by pilgrims. There are also
eight ancient maths (religious houses), and each of the heads of these
presides in turn over the Krishna temple for two years. The most
important festival is the Pariyaya, celebrated at the change of these
incumbents in January of every second year.
Ughi.-Head-quarters of the Hazara border military police, North-
West Frontier Province. See OGHI.
Ujhani:-Town in the District and tahsil of Budaun, United
Provinces, situated in 28° 1' N. and 79° 1' E., on the Rohilkhand and
Kumaun Railway, 8 miles west of Budaun town. Population (I9or),