of Brdhmanical origin, and perhaps belong to a date very soon after
the downfall of Buddhism.
Underi (or Henery).-A small island in the Alibag tdtuka of Koldba
District, Bombay, situated in 18° 42' N. and 72° 51' E., near the
entrance of Bombay harbour, due south of the Prongs lighthouse,
1,200 yards from the mainland and opposite the village of Thai. This,
with the island of KHANDERI or Kenery, which is distant about a
mile and a quarter to the south-west, forms one of the landmarks
for vessels entering Bombay harbour. Underi is smaller and lower
than Khdnderi and is nearly circular. Except a small cove in the
north-east side where boats lie, it is surrounded by rocks.
The earliest known mention of Underi is by Fryer in 1674, who
calls it ` Hunarey' and misplaces it, putting it to the west of I Cunarey.'
The island was fortified by Sid! Kdsim in 1680, and remained in
his hands till the close of the seventeenth century. After working
with the English for some time in blockading Khanderi, where Daulat
Khan (Sivaji's admiral) had lately established himself, Sid! Kasim
suddenly took possession of Underi in January, 1680, and began to
fortify it. Two engagements followed between the Sid! and the
Mardthas. In the second fight Daulat Khan brought guns to bear
from the mainland on Underi. After about a fortnight, Daulat Khan
again came out with his whole fleet and engaged the Sid! for four
hours, but lost heavily. On August 1, 1680, Sambhdji, who had
succeeded Sivaj! (April, 1680), taking advantage of a dark night, landed
two hundred men on Underi. They got within the works before
they were discovered; but here the Sid! attacked them and either
took or killed the greater number. In 1761 Raghunath Rao Peshwa
granted Underi to the English; but the transfer never took place.
The island was subsequently held on behalf of the Peshwas by the
Angrias, who used the fort as a state prison. A hidden flight of
steps led underground to a strong door, which gave entrance to a
room 7 feet high and 12 feet wide, a loathsome dungeon swarming
with vermin. About 1836, on suspicion of being concerned in a gang
robbery, fifteen persons were confined in this hole. In four months,
from want of light, air, and water, thirteen of the fifteen died raving
mad. In 1840 Underi lapsed to the British Government; and, till
1858, when the survey settlement was introduced, it continued the
head-quarters of a subdivision of 130 villages.
Unl.-Thakurdt in the MALwA AGENCY, Central India.
Uniara.-Chief town of an estate of the same name in the Malpura
nizdmat of the State of Jaipur, Rdjputdna, situated in 25° 55' N. and
76° 4' E., on the Galwa river, a tributary of the Bands, about 72
miles south of Jaipur city. The town is walled and fortified, and in
igoi contained 4,461 inhabitants. The Rao Raja of Uniara belongs