to the Naruka sept of the Kachwaha Rajputs, and pays to the Jaipur
Darbar a tribute of about Rs. 37,6oo. He maintains a primary
school attended by 36 boys, and a hospital with accommodation for
4 in-patients. There are also three elementary indigenous schools.
The estate contains one town and 122 villages, with a population in
1901 of 27,913, of whom 9o per cent. were Hindus. It is situated
in one of the richest portions of the Jaipur State, and yields to the
Rao Raja about 3 lakhs a year.
United Provinces of Agra and Oudh.-The area administered
by the Lieutenant-Governor of Agra and Oudh lies between 23° 52'
and 31° 18' N. and 77° 3' and 840 39' E. The Provinces are bounded
on the north by Tibet, and on the north-east by Nepal ; on the east
and south-east by the Champaran, Saran, Shahabad, and Palamau
Districts of Bengal; on the south by two of the Chota Nagpur States
in the Central Provinces,, Rewah and some small States in the Cen-
tral India Agency, and Saugor District in the Central Provinces; on
the west by the States of Gwalior, Dholpur, and Bharatpur, the Dis-
tricts of Gurgaon, Delhi, Karnal, and Ambala in the Punjab, and the
Punjab States of Sirmur and Jubbal. The Jumna river forms part
of the western boundary, the Ganges part of the southern, and the
Gandak part of the eastern; other boundaries are artificial.
According to the District surveys the areas of the two Provinces
are, in square miles: Agra, 83,198; Oudh, 23,966; total, 107,164.
Including some river-beds which form District boundaries and are
excluded from the District details, the total area amounts to 107,494
square miles. The area of the two Native States in the Provinces
(Rampur and Tehri) is 5,079 square miles more.
A Presidency of Agra was first formed in 1834, up to which date
the area then separated had been included in the Presidency of Bengal,
being sometimes called the Western Provinces. In 1836 its name
was changed to the Lie utenant-Governorship of the North-Western
Provinces. The Province of Oudh' was annexed in 1856, and be-
came a Chief Corn missionership with a separate administration. In
1877 the two Provinces were brought together under the Lieutenant-
Governor of the North-Western :Provinces and Chief Commissioner
of Oudh, and in 1902 the name of the Provinces was changed and
the title of Chief Commissioner dropped.
The United Provinces include four distinct tracts of country
namely, portions of the Himalayas, the sub-Himalayan
Physical tracts, the great Gangetic plain, and portions of the
aspects. hill systems of Central India.
The Himalayan tract, which lies on the exteme north, comprises
' Awadh is a corruption of Ajodhyd, and was the name of a province before