tVAD1111711N S144 TE
who call themselves Buddhists are so only in name. In the case of the
'Tai Loi, the En, the Hsen Hsum, and the other Wa tribes of Kengtung,
on the other hand, the Buddhism professed is more real. The Was are
good agriculturists and cultivate the opium poppy largely. In person
the real Wa, is ordinarily darker than his Shan neighbours, and his
swarthiness is enhanced by the dirt that usually clings to him. The
Wa's dress is at all times scanty, and consists at best of little more than
an exiguous loin-cloth, while it is said that during the hot season both
men and women occasionally dispense altogether with clothing. The
Wild Was" villages are usually roughly fortified, and have frequently
only one entrance through a covered or tunnelled way. The Wa
language belongs to the Mon-Anam sub-family, and is closely allied to
the speech of the Palaungs to the west of the Salween, and of the
Hkamuks east of the Salween in Siamese territory. The Wa tribes of
Kengtung mentioned above speak dialects of their own, differing from
the Wa of the Northern Shan States.
Wada.-Tdluka in Thana District, Bombay. See VADA.
Wadegaon.-Town in the Balapur tdluk of Akola District, Berar,
situated in 20° 35' N. and 76° 54' E. Population (1901), 5,825.
Wadgaon Town (1).-Head-quarters of the Maval tdluka of Poona
District, Bombay, situated in 18° 44' N. and 73° 28' E., on the south-
east branch of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway, 23 miles north-west
of Poona city. Population (1901), 1,248. It was the scene of the
disgraceful convention of Wadgaon, where in 1778-9 the commanders
of the Bombay army, which had been sent to restore Raghunath Rao
to the Peshwaship, agreed to give up to the Marathas all the British
conquests since 1773 as the price of being allowed to retreat. The town
contains a Sub-Judge's court and the revenue offices of the tdluka, and
one school with 52 pupils.
Wadgaon Town (2).-Town in the State of Kolhapur, Bombay,
situated in 16° 5o' N. and 74° 22' E. Population (x901), 5,168. It
is administered as a municipality, with an income of Rs. 6,ooo.
Drinking-water is supplied from a reservoir to the south of the town,
built during the famine of 1896 at a cost of more than a lakh. After
having been burnt several times during the feuds between the Kolhapur
State and the Patvardhans, it was plundered by Raghunath Rao (1761-
62). Formerly, during the reign of Sambhaji (1712-6o), Wadgaon was
a favourite residence of the Kolhapur family, and had a strong detach-
ment of horse. It has a large HemzApanti temple of Lakshm! and
a Jain temple.
Wadnagar.-Town in the Kadi brdul, Baroda State. See VAD-
Wadnera.-Town in Amraoti District, Berar. See BADNERA.
Wadhwan State.-State in the Kathiawar Political Agency, Bum-