WARORA TO WN
the river which for some months in. the year is several feet under
water. The Wardha is crossed by the Great Indian Peninsula Railway
Wargaum.--Town in the Maval Mrluka of Poona District, Bombay.
Warorâ. Tahsil.-North-western tahsil of Chanda District, Central
Provinces, lying between 19 59' and 20° 44' N. and 78° 48' and
79 37' E., with an area of 1,282 square miles. The population in
rgol was 134,547, compared with 14.4,58o in 18gi. The density is
105 persons per square mile. The tahsil contains one town, WARORA
(population, 10,626), the head-quarters; and 406 inhabited villages.
Excluding 346 square miles of Government forest, 71 per cent. of the
available area is occupied for cultivation. The cultivated area in 1903-4
was 515 square miles. The demand for land revenue in the same year
was Rs. 1,14,000, and for cesses Rs. '3,ooo. The greater part of the
tahsil is an open black-soil tract in the valley of the Wardhâ, river,
bearing spring crops, and thus differing considerably from the rest of
Chanda, which is mainly a rice District, and resembling rather the
adjoining District of Wardha.
Warorâ. Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name,
Chanda District, Central Provinces, situated in 20c' 14' N. and 790 1' E.,
two miles from the Wardha river. It is the terminus of the Wardha-
Warora branch of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway, 45 miles from
Wardha town and 517 from Bombay. An extension of the railway
from Warora to a point beyond Chanda, has recently been begun. Popu
lation (1go1), 10,626. Warora was constituted a municipality in 1867.
The municipal receipts during the ten years ending rgol averaged
Rs. 22,000. In 1903-4 the income had increased to Rs. 32,000,
principally derived from octroi. Water is obtained from a large tank
outside the town, and carried into it in pipes. Warora is the station at
which the bulk of the produce of Chanda District, and much of that of
the adjoining; Yeotmal District of Berar, reaches the railway. A Govern-
ment colliery was worked here from 1871 to 1906. In 1903-4 the
output was 117,000 tons of coal, raised. at a cost of RS. 2-15-4 per ton.
The earnings for the year amounted to 5-4 lakhs and the expenditure
to 3-7 lakhs, giving a return of rr-Iff per cent. on the capital expenditure.
About 1,ooo miners were employed. The coal was sold to the railway,
and to the local mills and factories. In connexion with the colliery
a fire-clay brick and tile factory was established, the output of which in
1904 was valued at Rs. 42,ooo. A ginning and pressing factory belong-
ing to the Empress Mills, Nagpur, with 14 gins and one press, was
opened in 1903. It has a capital of about a lakh of rupees, and dealt
with cotton to the value of Rs. 55,000 in the first year of working.
Another cotton-press and three ginning factories have since been