378 WARORj TOWN
constructed. Warorā possesses English middle and girls' schools, and
Warud.-Town in the Mors! tdluk of Amraot! District, Berār,
situated in 21° 1ō N. and 78° 7' E. Population (1901), 7,179. The
town, which is known among Musalmāns as Barur, is a local centre of
the cotton trade and contains ginning factories.
Wasi.-Crown tāluk in the north of Osmanābad District, Hyder-
ābād State, which was absorbed in the Kalam tdluk in 1905. The
population in 1901, includiiag jdgirs, was 49,67x, and the area 355
square miles. The land revenue was 1.9 lakhs.
Wiiso.-Town in the Kadi prant, Baroda State. See Vnso.
Watrap.-Town in Tinnevelly District, Madras. See VARTT1Rt1Y1-
Wazirā.bā.d Tahsil.--Tshsil of Gujrānwāla District, Punjab, lying
on the south-eastern bank of the Chenāb, between 32° 8' and 32° 31' N.
and 73" 4r' and 74 15' E., with an area of 455 square miles. The
tahsil consists of a riverain belt along the Chenāb ; a rich and highly
developed tract along the Siąlkot border, with abundant well-irrigation ;
and the level uplands known as the Bangar. The head-works of the
Chenāb Canal are at Khank! in this tahsil. The population in x901
was 183,205, compared with 183,606 in 1891. It contains the towns of
WAZĪRt1BlaD (population, 1 8,069), the head-quarters, Rt1MNAGAR (7,121),
S®DHRA (5,050), and AKALGARH (4,961); and 254 villages. The land
revenue and cesses in 1903-,4 amounted to RS. 2, 70,000.
Wazirābā.d Town.-Head-quarters of the W WI of the same name
in Gujrānwāla District, Punjab, situated in 32° 26' N. and 74° 7' E., on
the right bank of the Chenāb, 21 miles north-west of Gujrānwāla town.
Population (1901), 18,069. Said to have been founded in the time of
Shah Jahan by Wazlr Khan, it is first heard of in the time of Charat
Singh, when, together with other towns in the District, it fell into his
hands about 1760. Ranjit Singh acquired it in 1809, and shortly after-
wards General Avitabile made: it his head-quarters. He built an entirely
new town, with a straight broad bazar running through it, and side
streets at right angles. Wazlrābad was the head-quarters of the old
Wazlrabad District, broken Lip in 1851-2, and was the site of a canton-
ment removed to Siālkot in 1855 on account of the unhealthiness of
The municipality was created in 1867. The income during the
ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 2o,8oo, and the expenditure
Rs. 21,400. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 2o,8oo, chiefly from octroi;
and the expenditure was Rs. 19,2oo. The town has a considerable
trade in timber, which comes down the Chenab from Jammu territory,
and in cloth, grain, and sugar. The smiths of Wazlrabad have a repu
tation for the manufacture of small articles of cutlery, and the, village