Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 24, p. 398.


Graphics file for this page
398 WON DISTRICT
was 3989 per 1,ooo, compared with 3658, which was the mean for the
Province. Vaccination is compulsory only in the municipality of
Yeotmâl.
In August, 19o5, when the six Districts of 1aerŕr were reconsti-
tuted, this District received the designation of Yeotmâl, and the
Pusad tdluk of Bâsim, which ceased to exist as a separate District,
was incorporated in it. The present area of Yeotmâl District is
5,183 square- miles, and the population of that; area in igox was
575,957-

[Tdluk Settlement Reports: R. R. Beynon, Yeomâl (x874), Wün
(x875); Y. W. Yrancis, Ddrwhd, (19oi).]
Wixn Tâluk.-Tdluk of Yeotmal District, Berâr, lying between
19- 47' and 20° 17' N. and 78° 37' and 79° 1x' E., with an area
of 86o square miles. The population fell from 84,678 in x89x to
82,562 in 19or, the density being 96 persons per square mile, the same
as in the Kelâpur tdluk. The tirrluk contains 275 villages and only one
town, WűN (population, 6,rog), the head-quarters. The demand for
land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. x,4x,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 9,ooo.
Until August, 1905, Wan gave its name to the District in'which it is
situated, though the town was never the head-quarters: The tilark
lies in the south-eastern corner of Berâr, in the angle formed by
the confluence of the Wardhâ and Pengangâ rivers, which bound it
on the north-east and the south. The soil is generally fertile, but
in the north-east it is more sandy than is usual in Berâr. Coal exists
in a considerable portion of the area.
Wiin Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name in
Yeotmal District, Berâr, situated in 20° 3' N. and 79' E. Popu-
lation (19ox), 6,xo9. In Mardthi the town is known as Wam, Wcin
being the name used by Musalmâns. A fair, at which cattle, carts,
and hardware are sold, is held here annually about the time of the
Holi festival, in March. At Mandar, a small village south of Wan,
Raghuji Bhonsla in 1734 captured his kinsman Kânhoji, who had
disregarded the orders of the Raj! of Sâtâra to return to court. In
the neighbourhood of the town are several tanks.
Wundwin.-North-eastern township of Meiktila District; Upper
Burma, lying on both sides of the Mandalay-Rangoon railway, between
20 59' and 21° 25' N. and 95° 47' and 96° x8' E., with an area of 595
square miles. The population was 56,544 in x89f, and 62,935 in 19ox,
distributed in 277 villages, Wundwin (population, x,o9o), near Thedaw
on the railway, being the head-quarters. The eastern part of the town-
ship is watered by the Samon river, which runs near the foothills of the
Shan plateau in a valley of some width. The more undulating country
in the west is traversed by the Thinbon, the waters of which are
diverted on to the surrounding paddy-fields in the rains by means
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html