much heavier in the west than in the east. Rice, rdgi, and other
`dry' grains are cultivated in the valleys and on the lower slopes; but
the chief products are coffee, tea, and pepper. In 1904 there were 69
coffee plantations covering an area of 7,847 acres, of which about
4,8oo acres were actually planted ; and 27 tea plantations occupying
6,602 acres, of which 4,6oo acres were under cultivation. The coffee
industry was first introduced in 1805, but was not fairly established
till about 1840, when several European planters opened up estates.
The industry reached its height about 1880 ; but it has since steadily
declined, a fungoid leaf disease, which first appeared in 1868, and
other pests having ruined many properties. To these have lately been
added Brazilian competition, and the planters are now turning their
attention to pepper and other special products. In 1904 the total
out-turn of coffee was 645 tons. Tea cultivation was introduced in
1880 and has increased with the decline of coffee. The yield in 1904
was 863,000 lb., much of it of excellent quality. Cinchona bark
was widely cultivated twenty years ago, but is now found only in
small patches. Pepper cultivation is on the increase, and is at pre-
sent profitable ; the vines are larger than in the low country, and
give heavier crops.
Y‚dgir T‚luk.-Tdluk in Gulbarga District, Hyderabad State.
Till 1905 the taluk was attached to RaichŻr District. Including jdgirs,
the population in rgo1 was 42,996 and the area 355 square miles. In
1891 the population was 62,264, the decrease being due to the transfer
of certain villages to the adjoining tdluks and Districts. The tdluk
contains one town, YADGőR (population, 6,271), the head-quarters; and
64 villages, of which 14 are j‚gir. The Bhima river flows along its
western border. The land revenue in 1901 amounted to Rs. 86,ooo.
In 1905 the tdluk was enlarged by the addition of some villages from
Gurmatkal and from MahbŻbnagar District.
Y‚dgir Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name in
Gulbarga District, Hyderabad State, situated in 16o 46'N. and 770 9' E.,
on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. The fort of Y‚dgir was built
on a hill by a Yadava king. An inscription on the Niz‚m Burj gives an
account of Nizam Ali Khan's visit to the governor of the place. In the
town are a Jama Masjid and another mosque with an inscription.
Y‚dgir also contains a post office, a middle school with 237 pupils, and
a police inspector's office.
Y‚diki.-Town in the Tadpatri tdluk of Anantapur District, Madras,
situated in 15į 3' N. and 77į 52' E., 4 miles from the railway station of
Rayalcheruvu. Population (1901), 7,389. It is now the head-quarters
of a deputy-lahsilddr. Formerly, it was the chief town of a tdluk, but
in 1859 the Yadiki villages were divided between the tdluks of Gooty
and Tadpatri. The place has not flourished of late, its population