YERCA UD 423
wâs. Mâdhu Rao Peshwa finally gavé it in grant with numerobs other
villages to Vithal, the ancestor of the present chief of Vinchfir. It is
surrounded by a dilapidated mud wall. It contains a Subordinate
judge's court, an English school, and a dispensary.
Yeotmâl District.-District in Berâr. See Wűrr DISTRICT.
Yeotmdl Taluka. - Head-quarters taluk of Yeotmdl District
(formerly known as Wan), Berâr, lying between 20° 9 and 20° 4x' N.
and 78° and 78° 34' E., with an area cf 908 square miles. The popula-
tion fell from x24,429 in î89t to 124,031 in xgoi, its density being
136 persons per square mile. The tdluk contains 293 villages and only
one town, YEOTMiiL (population, 10,545), the head-quarters. The
demand for land revenue in x903-4 was Rs. 1,75,ooo, and for cesses
Rs. 3,ooo. The tciluk lies chiefly in the Bâlŕghat or southern plateau
of Berâr; but a broad belt of land on the north lies in the central
valley, and on the north-east the valley of the Wardha, which bounds the
ttzluk on that side, resembles in its characteristics the fertile land of
Yeotmâl Town.-Head-quarters of the District and tdluk of the
same name in Berâr, situated in 20° 24' N. and 78° 11' E., at an ele-
vation of 1,476 feet. Population (xgoi), 10,545. The original name
of the place was Yewata, and the termination is a corruption of
naahall (`.pargana town'). In the AM-i-Akbari the pargana is styled
Vot-Lohâra, Lohâra being an old village 3 miles to the west of
Yeotmâl. There is a good specimen of a Hemadpand temple at
Yeotmâl. Municipal government was first introduced in 1869, but had
to be abandoned as the place could not support it. It was again
introduced in 1894, with a proportion of elected members, but the
elective system was subsequently given up as unsuitable to the con-
ditions. The receipts and expenditurD of the municipality from 1894
to 19ox averaged Rs. ix,ooo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 16,517,
principally derived from taxes and cesses ; and the expenditure was
Rs. 17,226, the principal heads being conservancy and education. The
place was a village of no importance until it was selected for its position
as the head.-quarters of Wďm District, now (1905) Yeotmdl District.
Since that time its population and trade have increased rapidly. It is
connected with Dhâmangaon railway station, 29 miles distant, by a
metalled road, and contains ao ginning factories and 7 cotton-presses.
Yercaud (Er-kdd='lake-wood').-;3anitarium on the Shevaroy Hills,
in the District and tdluk of Salem, :Madras, situated in 1Y° 4g' N.
and 78° 12' E., at an elevation of 4,828 feet above sea-level. Popu-
lation (1901), 7,787. It is steadily growing in favour as a hot-season
resort, and contains good accommodation for visitors. The scenery
is of great variety and beauty, and includes the charm (not obtain-
able in Ootacamund and Kodaikânal, for example) of views, from