almost every point, over the plains below. The climate is delightful
and equable, seldom rising above 75° and never falling much below
6o°; and interesting excursions can be made to many points of interest.
All round are the coffee estates of European planters. It is easily
reached by the cart road recently opened from Salem railway station,
distance 20 miles.
Yergara. -Former tdluk of Raichūr District, Hyderābad State.
See MANVI, RAICHUR, and DEODRUG tclluks.
Yernagfldem Tāluk.-Upland laluk in Kistna District, Madras,
lying between 16° 48' and r7° 1g' N. and 81° 3' and 81° 45' E., on
the right bank of the Godāvari river, with an area of 568 square
miles. The population in rgor was 140,048, compared with 136,209
in 18g1. The number of villages is 115, of which Kovvłr is the
head-quarters. The demand on account of land revenue and cesses
in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 2,89,ooo. To the south, and where it
approaches the Godāvari river, the country is flat, but elsewhere it is
uneven, rocky, and covered with much low jungle. The more northern
portions are malarious. The Yerrakalva, a small river running through
the centre of the tdluk, is the principal source of irrigation. The chief
crops are rice, cholam, pulses, and oilseeds.
Yesagyo. Eastern township of Pakokku District, Upper Burma,
lying between 21° 24' and 21° 52' N. and 95° 4' and 95° 21' E., along
the banks of the Irrawaddy and Chindwin, with an area Of 564 square
miles. The township is flat, except in the west, and large portions of it
are liable to inundation. The population was 53,795 In 189 r, increasing
to 87,797 in 1go1, distributed in 238 villages. The head-quarters are
at Yesagyo (population, 3,522), for some time a municipality, and still
a thriving trade centre with a large bazar, on the Chindwin, about 26
miles from Pakokku town. The rainfall is very scanty, but the density
of population is comparatively high. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was
134 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted
to Rs. 2,23,000.
Ye-u Subdivision.-Subdivision of Shwebo District, Upper Burma,
containing the YE-U, TABAYIN, TAMADAw, and TAZE townships.
Ye-u Township.-Central township of Shwebo District, Upper
Burma, lying along the bank of the Mu river, between 22° 41' and
22° 56' N. and.95015' and 95° 3o' E., with an area of 140 square miles.
The population was 20,073 in 18gr, and 24,190 by igol, distributed
in 140 villages. Ye-u (population, 2,504), on the Mu river, the head-
quarters, was formerly the head-quarters of a District: of the same name.
The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 13 square miles, and the land
revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 44,500.
Yindaw.-North-western township of Yamethin District, Upper
Burma, lying between 200 13' and 200 47' N. and 95° 34' and 96° 2' E.,