Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 9.


Graphics file for this page
ADEN


9


and their cavalry dispersed by the British artillery, a party was sent
forward to take their guns. While a strong force of cavalry opposed
this party's advance, a body of Marathl troops, professing to be
partisans of Raghunath Rao, was allowed to pass between the advanced
party and the main British line. Attacked both in front and rear, the
forward party resisted bravely till the grenadiers, facing to the right-
about to change ground, by some mistake began to retreat. The rest
followed, and at the same time a tumbril of shells blowing up added to
the confusion. The men retreated at first in order, but getting broken
at a high hedge, fled to the main line. The enemy followed, but were
met by so steady a fire of grape-shot and shell that they were driven off
the ground. The British were left masters of the field, and a gun that
had fallen into the enemy's hands was retaken. The engagement lasted
for four hours. Victory was dearly bought. Of fifteen British officers
in the advanced division, seven were killed and four wounded. Eighty
Europeans, a number of native officers, and 200 men, were killed or
missing.
Adavad.-Town in the Chopda faluka of East Khandesh District,
Bombay, situated in 2I 13' N. and 75 28' E. Population (1901),
5,983, including many Tadvi BhIls. It was once a place of some con-
sequence, the head-quarters of a tdalka. The site of the old offices
is now occupied by a schoolhouse, and the people are fast carting
away the earth of the ruined fort in the centre of the town. A school
for boys has 152 pupils. Among the objects of interest is a fine old
stone-and-mortar step-well, 30 feet by 12, in a ruined enclosure known
as the Lal Bagh ('red garden'). To the north of the town is
a mosque, built, according to an inscription on one of the steps,
in I678. Three miles to the north-west are the UNABDEV hot
springs.
Addanki.-Town in the Ongole taluk of Guntur District, Madras,
situated in 15 49' N. and 79 58' E., on the banks of the Gundlakamma
river, 23 miles from the Ongole railway station. Population (r9oI),
7,230. It contains a ruined mud fort of about 79 acres in area, said
to have been built or restored about A.D. 1400 by Haripaludu, son
of Pratap Rudra. The Mondapati family of Ongole ruled here two
centuries ago. Addanki is the centre of an extensive pulse-growing
and cattle-breeding country, with a large trade in grain, and is the
head-quarters of a deputy-fahsilddr.
Aden.-Peninsula, isthmus, and fortified town, under the Govern-
ment of Bombay, on the south coast of the province of Yemen, Arabia,
situated in r2 47' N. and 45 Io' E. The British territory was formerly
limited to the peninsula of Aden proper, extending to the Khor Maksar
creek, 2 miles north of the defensive works across the isthmus. In
I868 the island of Sirah (now connected with the mainland by a masonry



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html