Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 9, p. 248.


Graphics file for this page
248
P UXAR 70 TYN
13,945. Buxar is a station on the East Indian Railway, 411 miles from
Calcutta, and is a considerable centre of trade. It is famous as the
scene of the defeat in 1764 by Sir Hector Munro of Mir Kasim, in the
battle which finally won the Lower Provinces of Bengal for the British.
It is a place of great sanctity, and is said to have been originally called
Vedagarbha, `the womb of the Vedas,' as many of the inspired writers
of the Vedic hymns lived here. Buxar was constituted a municipality
in 1869. The income during the decade ending 1901-2 averaged
Rs. 8,400, and the expenditure Rs. 7,700- In 1903-4 the income was
Rs. 9,500, mainly derived from a tax on persons (or property tax) ; and
the expenditure was Rs. 12,ooo. Buxar contains the usual public
buildings, and also a Central jail with accommodation for 1,391
prisoners. The chief jail industry is the manufacture of tents, of which
2,705 were supplied to Government departments in 1903; cloth-weaving
and the manufacture of prison clothing and uniforms for the police
and chaukiddrs, as well as for the Opium and jail departments, are
also extensively carried on. A subsidiary jail has accommodation for
61 prisoners.
Bydgi.-Town in the Ranibennur laluka of Dharwar District,
Bombay, situated in 14 41' N. and 75 3o' E., about 1o miles north-
west of Ranibennur town, on the Southern Mahratta Railway. Popu-
lation (1901), 6,659. The municipality, established in 1879, had an
average income during the decade ending 1901 of Rs. 1o,ooo. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 1 i,6oo. A weekly market, one of the
largest in the District, is held on Saturdays, when rice, molasses,
groceries, and chillies are sold. The Rameshwar temple has two
inscriptions, one dated 1092 and the other 1620. The town contains
three schools, of which one is for girls.
By.ns.-A portion of Almora District, United Provinces, near the
Tibetan border. See Blnivs.
CRch,r (Kdchdr).-District in Eastern Bengal and Assam, which
derives its name from the Kachari tribe, whose Raja married a Tippera
princess and received as her dowry the upper portion of the Surma Val-
ley. It lies between 24 12' and 25 5o' N. and 92 26' and 93 29' E.,
and covers an area of 3,769 square miles. On the north it is bounded
by the Kapili and Doiang rivers, which separate it from Nowgong Dis-
trict; on the east by the Naga Hills and the State of Manipur; on the
south by the Lushai Hills; and on the west by the District of Sylllet
and the Jaintia Hills. The District falls into two natural divisions, the
plains and the hills. The latter (area 1,706 square
Physical
aspects miles) is a section of the range which divides the
.
Surma Valley from that of the Brahmaputra. The
former is the upper portion of the valley of the Barak or Surma, and
consists of a level plain dotted with isolated hillocks and broken up
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html