Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 17, p. 362.


Graphics file for this page
362 MII?Jj To TflN
thdizas was assigned by the Peshwa Madhu Rao to Govind Rao
Patvardhan for the maintenance of troops. Miraj is a large trading
town, with two old dargdhs, built in 1491. It is administered as a
municipality, with an income in 1903-4 of Rs. r5,5o0. It contains
:a high school and a dispensary.
Mirâj State (Junior Branch).-State under the Political Agent
of Kolhapur and the Southern Maratha Country, Bombay, with an
area of 211 square miles. It consists of three divisions: a group
of villages adjoining the Bankapur tâluka of Dharwar District;
a second near the Tasgaon tâluka of Satara District; a third near
the Pandharpur tâluka of Sholapur District, which also includes four
indm villages in Poona District. There are 3 towns, the largest
being Bhudgaon (population, 3,591), where the chief resides; and
31 villages. The population in lgor was 35,806, Hindus numbering
'32,484, Muhammadans 2,034, and Jains x,288. The soil is generally
black. Indian millet, wheat, gram, and cotton are the chief crops;
and coarse cotton cloth is the principal manufacture. The history
of this branch of the family is the same as that of the Senior Branch,
given above. The chief ranks as a first-class Sardàr in the Southern
Marathâ, Country, and has power to try his own subjects for capital
offences. The family holds a sanad authorizing adoption, and follows
the rule of primogeniture in matters of succession. The estimated
revenue is about 4 lakhs, and the expenditure nearly 3lakhs. Tribute
of Rs. 6,412 is payable to the British Government. The police force
numbers 143. In 1903-4 there were three jails, with a daily average
of 23 prisoners. There are 3o schools in the State, attended by
991 pupils. Two dispensaries treat, about 14,500 persons. In 1903-4
about 8oo persons were vaccinated.
Miram Shâh (bran Shiih).-Head-quarters of the Northern
Vaziristan Agency, North-West Frontier Province, situated in 33°
57' N. and 70 7' E., in Daur (the Tochi valley), about 57 miles
west of Bannu. Its elevation is 3,050 feet above the sea, and it com-
prises three or four hamlets. It is now garrisoned by the Northern
Waziristân militia.
Mirânpur.-Town in the Jansath tahsil of Muzaffarnagar District,
United Provinces, situated in 29° 17' N. and 77° 57' E., 20 miles from
. Muzaffarnagar town. Population (1900, 7)209. It is the home of
a family of Saiyids, descended from a member of the Chhatrauri
branch of the famous Bârha Saiyids. Early in 1858 it was attacked
by the Bijnor rebels, but successfully held by British troops. Miran-
-pur is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about
Rs. 2,ooo. At one time there was a large local trade in rice, sugar,
salt, and grain ; but the opening of the railway has diverted trade to
Khatauli and Muzaffarnagar. Blankets are still made to a ,large extent,
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html