MIRIAL G UDA 363
and also coarse blue pottery and papier mâché goods. There' are two
MirAnpur Katra.-Town in Shdhjahanpur District, United Pro-
vinces. See KATRA.
1Vliran Shâh.-Head-quarters of the Northern Waziristan Agency,
North-West Frontier Province. See MIRAM SHAH.
M"irânzai-Tahsil and town in Kohat District, North-West Frontier
Province. See HANGU.
Mirganj Tahsil.-West-central tahsil of Bareilly District, United
Provinces, comprising the parganas of Shah!, Sirauli (North), and
Ajaon, and lying between 28° 24' and 28° 41' N. and 79° 6' and
790 24' E., with an area of 149 square miles. Population increased
from 95,300 in 18gi to 103,198 in rgoi. There are 158 villages and
one town, Shahi (population, 3,556). The demand for land revenue in
1903-4 was Rs. 1,5o,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 26,ooo. The density of
population, 640 persons per square mile, is below the District average.
The shifting channel of the Raniganga winds through the south of the
tahsil; and the Dhakra, Dhord, and West Bahgul, after flowing from
the northern border, unite to form the Dojora. Mirganj is a level
well-cultivated plain, the greater portion of which is sufficiently moist
not to require artificial irrigation. It produces sugar-cane largely, and
sugar is refined in many places. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation
was iii square miles, of which 17 were irrigated. Tanks or jhils
supply more than half the irrigated area. The new dam across the
Kül! Nadi will supply irrigation to the north of this tahsil.
Mirganj Town.-Town in the Gopalganj subdivision of Saran
District, Bengal, situated in 26° 25' N. and 84° 2o' E. Population
(rgoi), 9,698. It is a large trading centre.
Miri Hills.--A section of the Himalayan range lying north of
Lakhimpur District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, between the hills
occupied by the Gallongs and the Ranganadl, and inhabited by the
Miri tribe. The Miris are of Tibeto-Burman origin, and have tall,
well-developed frames, with pleasant countenances of the Mongolian
type. Unlike their neighbours they have never given trouble to the
British Government, and large numbers of the tribe have now settled
on the Assam plains. A full account of the Miris will be found in
Colonel Dalton's Ethnology of Bengal.
Mirialguda.-Southern tdlz2k of Nalgonda District, Hyderabad
State, separated from the Guntur District of Madras by the Kistna
river. Till 1905 it was also called Devalpalli. Including jdgirs, the
population in rgoi was 78,545, and the area 768 square miles. The
population in 18gr was 87,130, the decrease being due to the transfer
of villages. The tdluk contains 154 villages, of which 4 are jag%r,
and Mirialguda (population, 3,660) is the head-quarters. The land
VOL. XVIL A a