south-west, with populations of 62,293 and 16,301, and 124 and 35
villages, respectively. Their areas are about 599 and 169 square miles.
Farther south lies the samasthdn of Jatpol with 89 villages, a popula-
tion of 31,613, and an area of about 429 square miles.
Nagarkot.-Ancient town in Kangra District, Punjab. See KANGRA.
Nagarkovil.-Town in Travancore State, Madras. See NAGERCOIL.
Nagar Parkar:-Head-quarters of the Nagar tdluka in Thar and
Parkar District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 24° 21' N. and 70° 47' E.,
120 miles south of Umarkot. Population (1901), 2,454 It is con-
nected by good roads with Islam Kot, Mithi, Adigaon, Pitapur, Birani,
and Bela in Cutch. The manufactures include weaving and dyeing of
cloth ; and there is a local trade in wool, grain, coco-nuts, piece-goods,
,hides, and metals, besides a transit trade in grain, camels, cattle, wool,
and ghi. The village is believed to be of some antiquity; about a
mile distant is Sardhara, with a temple to Mahadeo, and a spring sacred
among Hindus. In 1859 Nagar Parkar was the scene of a rebellion,
for the suppression of which a British force was dispatched from
Hyderabad. The ringleaders were transported for a term of years.
Four miles north-west from Nagar Parkar in Bhodisar are the remains of
three ancient Jain structures, supposed to have been built in 1375 and
1449 The town contains a dispensary and two vernacular schools,
attended by 152 pupils, of which one with 56 pupils is a girls' school.
Nagaur.-Head-quarters of a district of the same name in the
State of Jodhpur, Rdjputana, situated in 27' 12' N. and 73' 44' F., on
the Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway. Population (rgo1), 13,377. The town
possesses a post office, an Anglo-vernacular school, and a hospital.
The principal manufactures are brass and iron utensils, ivory toys,
camel saddles, and cotton cloth. The town is said to take its name
from its traditional founders, the Naga Rdjputs, and was held succes-
sively by Prithwi Raj Chauhan, Muhammad Ghori, and the chiefs of
jodhpur, save for a time when it was possessed by the Bikaner chief
by grant from Akbar, and by another Rathor family by grant from
Shah Jahan. The town wall is more than 4 miles in length, between
22 and 5 feet thick, and on the average 17 feet high. The battlements
bear many Arabic and Persian inscriptions, obtained from mosques
demolished by Maharaja Bakht Singh in order to repair breaches
caused in warfare. Of the numerous religious edifices, two Hindu
temples and a five-domed mosque are especially noteworthy. The fort,
rising above the town, has a double wall nearly a mile long, the outer
being 25 feet and the inner 50 feet above the ground, with a thickness
of more than 3o feet at the base and about 12 feet at the top. The
principal objects of interest in the fort are some palaces, a fountain
with seventeen jets (dating from Akbar's reign), a mosque erected by
Shah Jahan, and a cave claimed by both Hindus and Musalmans