1VAG1NA TO WJV
as a place of retreat for their former saints. The Nagaur district fur-
nishes a fine breed of bullocks, famous throughout Northern India.
The village of Manglod (20 miles east of Nagaur town) has a very
old temple with a Sanskrit inscription dated A. D. 604, which records
its repair during the reign of a king Dhuhlana. This is the oldest
inscription yet discovered in jodhpur.
Nagercoil (Nagarkovil, 'the temple of the serpent').-Town in the
Agastiswaram laluk of Travancore State, Madras, situated in 8° io' N.
and 77° 27' E., within 7 miles of the Aramboli pass. Population
(1901), 25,782, consisting of 20,045 Hindus, 2,570 Musalmans, and
3,167 Christians. Once the capital of Travancore, it is now the
head-quarters of a District and Sessions Judge, a Munsif, and other
officials. The London Missionary Society maintains a college, schools,
a printing press, and a hospital. The native Christian women turn
out fine lace which commands a brisk sale.
Nagina Tahsil.-North-eastern laksil of Bijnor District, United
Provinces, comprising the parganas of Nagina, Barhapura, and Afzal-
garh, and lying between 29' 13' and 29' 43' N. and 78' -17' and
780 57' E., with an area of 453 square miles. Population fell from
183,147 in 1891 to 156,898 in rgo1. There are 464 villages and two
towns: NAGYNA (population, 21,412), the tahsil head-quarters, and
AFZALGAKH (6,474). The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
RS. 2,76,ooo, and for cesses Ks. 49,000. The density of population,
346 persons per square mile, is the lowest in the District. The tahsil
contains a considerable area of forest. It is crossed by several small
streams, and also by the Ramganga and its tributary the Khoh. The
soil is rich, and irrigation is provided in the Nagina par;ana by small
canals from the Khoh and Gangan; but the climate is not healthy,
and the considerable decrease of population between 1891 and igor
is due to the unfavourable seasons ending with the excessive rain of
1894. Cultivation also suffers from the depredations of wild animals.
In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 197 square miles, of which
14 were irrigated. Canals supply the greater part of the irrigated area.
Nagina Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Bijnor District, United Provinces, situated in 29' 27'N. and 78' 26E.,
on the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway, and at the terminus of a
metalled road from Bijnor. Population (1901), 21,412, of whom
14,887 were Musalmans. The early history of the town is unknown,
but it is mentioned in the Ain-i-Akbari as head-quarters of a mahdl or
pargana. ' During the rise of the Rohilla power in the middle of the
eighteenth century a fort was built here. In 1805 the place was sacked
by the Pindaris under Amir Khan, and from 1817 to 1824 it was the
head-quarters of the newly-formed District called Northern Moradabad.
During the Mutiny the town was the scene of several conflicts between
VOL. XVIII. U