Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 74.


Graphics file for this page
74
RflfKOT STATE
breeding also receives some attention. The common kinds of grain,
sugar-cane, and cotton are the principal crops. They are exported from
Gogha and Jodiya, and to a certain extent by rail from Wadhwan. The
Jetalsar-Rājkot, Morvi, and Jāmnagar Railways pass through the State.
Carts are the chief means of transport, but pack-bullocks and horses
are also employed. Cotton and woollen cloth are the principal manu-
factures, and there is one ginning factory. Exports, consisting chiefly
of cotton yarn, molasses, and hides, were valued at 3 lakhs in 1903-4;
and imports, chiefly timber, cotton, silk, and ivory, at io lakhs.
The State ranks as a second-class State in Kāthiawār. The chief has
power to try his own subjects for capital offences. The estimated gross
revenue is 3 lakhs, chiefly derived from land (2 lakhs). A tribute of
Rs. 21,3211 is paid jointly to the British Government and the Nawāb
of Junāgarh. The State contains 3 municipalities, and ig schools with
a total of 1,875 pupils, of whom 359 are girls. It maintains an armed
police force of 153 men, of whom 15 are mounted (1905). There are
two dispensaries affording relief annually to 27,815 patients, and
a travelling hospital assistant is engaged to carry medical relief to
outlying villages. In 1903-4 the number of persons vaccinated was
1,122.
Rājkot Town.-Capital of the State of the same name in Kathi-
dwār, Bombay, situated in 22° 18' N. and 70° 5o' E., at the junction
of the Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junāgarh-Porbandar, the Jāmnagar, and the
Morvi Railways. Population (1900, 36,151, including the civil and
military stations. Hindus number 25,927, Musalmāns 6,637, and Jains
3,071. Rājkot is the residence of the Agent to the Governor in
Kāthiawār, and contains several central institutions. Among these is
the Rājkumār College, which owed its inception to the foresight of
Colonel Keatinge, V.C., Political Agent from 1863 to 1867, and was
opened by Sir Seymour FitzGerald, Governor of Bombay, in 1870, and
for many years presided over by the late Mr. Chester MacNaghten.
This institution provides a suitable education and training not only for
the sons of chiefs of Kāthiāwār but also for cadets of other States in
the Bombay Presidency. The college itself is a fine building in the
Venetian Gothic style, amply equipped with a gymnasium, a racquet
court, a rifle range, and a cricket pavilion. The Jubilee Memorial
Institute, an imposing building consisting of the Connaught Hall, the
Lang Library, and the Watson Museum, is situated in a picturesque
public garden. The Rasūlkhanji Hospital for Women and Children,
built at the expense of the Nawab of Junāgarh, and maintained jointly
by the chiefs of Kāthiawār, is a well-equipped institution in charge of
a European lady doctor. The West Hospital, built conjointly by
Government and the chiefs of Kathiāwar, is a fully equipped hospital
in charge of the Agency Surgeon, who has at his disposal the services
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html