Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 289.


Graphics file for this page
RE WJ KAIVTHA
289
Rewah was already a place of importance in 1554, when it was held
by Jalal Khan, son of the emperor Sher Shah. It became the chief
town after the capture of Ba,ndhogarh, the old capital, by Akbar in
1597 ; and Raja Vikramaditya, who, according to some accounts,
founded the place in 1618, probably added palaces and other buildings.
About 1731 Rewah was sacked by Hirde Sah of Panna, Raja Avdhut
Singh flying to Partabgarh in Oudh.
The old city is still enclosed by a wall 2o feet high. On the east
side it is entered through the Jhula Darwaza (`swing gate'), a finely
carved gateway taken from' the old town of Gurgi Masaun, of which
the remains lie 12 miles east of the capital. In 1882 a large part
of the modern town was destroyed by a flood. Between the old walled
town and the modern extension lies a deep ravine, 'crossed by a cause-
way at a point known as the Bundela Gate, from a- gate that formerly
stood there, erected by the B.undelb after their capture of the city.
The chief buildings are the palace of Vishvanath Singh, the Kotht
or new palace erected in 1883, and the State offices. The town also
contains- a school with a boarding-house attached, a State printing
press,' a jail, a combined post and telegraph office, and a small ddk-
bungalow.
A garden known as the- Lakshman.Bagh contains several modern
Vaishnavite temples erected by the chiefs, which are supervised by
the 'Swami or high priest of the State, the spiritual director of the
Rewah chief. Three generations back the chief of Rewah became an
ardent supporter of Vaishnavism. An income of Rs. 40;ooo a year
is attached to the post, and the Swami has great influence in temporal
as well as spiritual matters:
Rewf 1i;Antha (`the banks of the Rewa or Narbada').-A Political
Agency subordinate to the Government of Bombay, established in
1821-6, having under its control 61 separate States, lying between
21 23' and 23 33' N. and 73' 3' and 74 20' E., with a total area
of 4,972 square miles. Besides lands stretching about 50 miles along
the south bank of the Narbada, Rewa Kantha includes an irregular
band of territory from 10 to 50 miles broad, passing north of the
Narbada to about r 2 miles beyond the Mali!, and an isolated strip on
the west lying chiefly along the left bank of the Mahi. It is bounded
on the north by the Rajputana States of Dungarpur and Banswara;
on the east by the taluka of Dohad in the Panch Mahals District, All
Rajpur, and other petty States of the Bhopawar Agency, and part- of
Khandesh District; on the south by Baroda territory and Surat
District; and on the west by Broach District, Baroda State, the Panch
Mahals, Kaira, and Ahmadabad Districts. Extreme length from north
to south about 140 miles, breadth from east to west varying from.
1o to 5o miles.
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html