Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 23, p. 54.


Graphics file for this page
54 SITJMA U TO WN
Sataj (1465). It fell later into the hands of the Gajmalod Bhfimias.
These Bhumias were Songara Rathors, who came into Malwa and took
Sitamau from its original owners about r5oo. About 1650 Mahesh
Das Rathor, father of Ratan Singh, was journeying from Jhalor to
Onkarnath, and was forced to stop at Sitamau, owing to his wife's
illness. She died here, and he asked the Gajmalod Bhumias for
permission to erect a shrine to her memory, but they refused. He
treacherously invited them to a feast, murdered them, and seized
Sitamau. The connexion thus established between this place and the
Rathor clan caused Ratan Singh to get it included in his grant of
Ratlam.
Laduna, situated A miles from Sitamau, on the edge of a fine tank,
was the chief town from 1750 to 1820, Sitamau being too open to
attack by the Marathas. The town contains a school, a guesthouse,
a dispensary, and a 'British post and telegraph office.
Sitapur District.-District in the Lucknow Division of the United
Provinces, situated between 27 6' and 27 54' N. and 8o 18' and
8r 24' E., with an area Of 2,250 square miles. It is bounded on the
north by Kheri ; on the east by the Kauriala or Gogra river, which
separates it from Bahraich ; on the south by Bara Banki and Lucknow ;
and on the west and south-west by the Gumti, across which lies Hardoi.
The eastern portion is a low damp tract, much of which is under
water in the rains, but the remaining area is a raised upland of more
stable character. Numerous streams intersect the
Physical
aspects District, flowing generally from north to south, but
.
with a slight inclination to the east. In the lowland
or gdnjar the watercourses are variable, but the channels in the uplands
are more stable. The GUMT! and the Kauriala or GOGRA, which form
the western and eastern boundaries respectively, are both navigable
Most of the upland area is drained by the Kathua and Sarayan, which
are tributaries of the GumtY, and the Sarayan also receives the Beta and
Gond.. Through the centre of the ganjar flows the Chauka, a branch
of the SARDA, which now brings down little water, as the main stream
of the Sarda is carried by the Dahawar, a branch separating the north-
east corner of the District from Kheri. The Dahawar and Gogra unite
at Mallanpur, but the junction of the Chauka and Gogra lies beyond
the southern border. of the District. There are many shallow ponds
and natural reservoirs which are full of water during the rains, but
gradually dry up during the hot season.
Sitapur exposes nothing but alluvium, and kankar or nodular lime-
stone is the only stony formation found.
The District is well wooded in all parts, though it contains no forests
and little jungle, except the sandy stretches near the rivers, which are
clothed with tall grass or tamarisk. Mangoes, jack-fruit, and a kind_ of
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: https://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html